Frank Cole Spencer was born in a country farmhouse in west Texas in 1925. The Spencer family's work ethic, instilled in Dr. Spencer at a young age, enabled him to excel in his studies when enrolled as a chemistry major at the University of North Texas at the age of 15. According to Dr. Spencer, "My good fortune evolved from very modest circumstances in the farming country of Western Texas. It resulted from the combination of access to good education, good teachers, and a lot of hard work."
Distinguished Career Highlights
• Completed bachelor's degree in chemistry at UNT in two and a half years
• Was accepted at Vanderbilt School of Medicine in Nashville at the age of 17
• Served as a surgeon in the Korean War and earned the Legion of Merit Award for his work with arterial injuries
• Joined the John Hopkins faculty
• Launched University of Kentucky Medical School
• Served as chair of surgery at New York University, launched the NYU cardiac surgery program
• Retired as chair in 1998 and remained active as a NYU faculty.
Recipient of scholarship will be chosen based on over all achievement.
To be considered for the Frank C. Spencer Rural Scholarship, an applicant must meet the following requirements: (and for continuation of the scholarship if awarded)
- Maintain full time enrollment in a program of the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences at UNT.
- Demonstrate financial need by submitting FAFSA to UNT and qualifying for financial support.
- Applicants must apply and be accepted to UNT.
- Must be from a highly rural Texas county.
- Applicants must meet minimum and continuting academic performance standards of the College of Arts & Sciences in effect at the time of any award.
The following must be submitted to the scholarship committee for consideration by the DEADLINE DATE:
1. Two letters of recommendation: one academic and one personal (not related)
2. A 500 word essay addressing your qualifications, your career aspirations, and how this scholarship will help you achieve your career goals.
Please use the online application form located on the left side of this page.
Any questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
DEADLINE DATE for Academic Year 2017-2018 is February 28, 2017.