A scholarship for undergraduate students whose gender identity is different than the sex assigned at birth and who are transitioning or have completed transition and are enrolled in the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences.
In addition, to be considered for the Finseth-Hawkins Scholarship an applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Meet the minimum entrance and continuing academic performance standards of the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences
- Maintain full-time enrollment as an undergraduate student majoring within the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, unless the student is nearing completion of their degree program and does not need full-time enrollment.
- Have at least a 2.5 GPA on a 4.0 scale (or its equivalent) at the time of application.
- Complete the scholarship application form and submit email address of Professor/Instructor for letter of recommendation, (UNT Professor/Instructor is preferred), transcripts of all collegework (these can be unofficial) or high school work (entering freshman only), along with a general narrative essay and an additional narrative essay.
- General narrative statement should be one page (single spaced) describing your academic background, career aspirations, extracurricular interests, and how this scholarship would benefit you.
- Your additional narrative essay should be one page (single spaced) detailing your experience with your gender identity and how this scholarship would support your personal well being. You may carry over details from your general essay. This additional essay is required for this scholarship so our committee can know to consider you for this particular award. If this is a sensitive matter to disclose, you may email Blake.Roark@unt.edu to notify your intent and need for this award alongside submitting an application.
Please use the online application form located on the left side of this page. This scholarship cannot be awarded to a previous recipient.
Any question can be sent to Blake.Roark@unt.edu
DEADLINE DATE for Academic Year 2022-2023 is March 1st 2022 at 8:00am (start of business day). We will accept letters of recommendation through 5:00pm (end of business day) March 11th.