* You may need to open this PDF in Adobe Reader or another browser such as Firefox.
Complete application packets are due to the CLASS dean's office by 5:00 on February 19, 2018.
The CLASS Advisory Board Award for Excellence in Graduate Teaching has been established to recognize annually a tenure-system CLASS faculty member of any rank for a record of graduate teaching excellence at the University of North Texasover at least a five-year period. The recipient of this $1,000 award will be recognized at the CLASS Advisory Board Awards Ceremony on September 20, 2018.
Eligibility: All tenure-system CLASS faculty members are eligible, but previous recipients are not eligible for nomination during the five years following receipt of the award. Faculty must be nominated by their department chair, and each department may submit only one nomination per year.
Selection Criteria: Selection is based on an application packet that documents graduate teaching excellence over at least a five-year period of time while at UNT. The CLASS Advisory Board is free to solicit additional input regarding the teachingrecord of any nominee.
A complete application packet should include:
- An application form signed by the award nominee and his/her chair.
- A current curriculum vitae that highlights teaching awards (received andnominated), teaching-related research efforts, teaching innovations, new courses developed, courses taught, etc., providing clear evidence that thenominee has made excellent teaching contributions to the university.
- A one-page statement of the nominee's teaching philosophy and perceptions ofhis/her teaching activities.
- A tabulated summary of departmental student evaluations over the past five or more years, that show the nominee's relative standing in his/her department.
- Three letters of recommendation, including one from the nominee's department chair and two more from peer faculty members or teaching colleagues in any CLASS department. The nominee is responsible for requesting these latter two letters.
- A list of the masters thesis or PhD dissertation students who have completed their degrees and for whom the nominee served as major professor. An indication of what each student is currently doing (e.g., pursuing another degreeor academic career or working in industry) should also be supplied.
- Other documentation in cases where non-conventional support material stands to highlight pedagogy (optional).
- Unsolicited letters or emails (where those already exist) from alumni attesting to the long-term benefits of the faculty member's instruction (optional).
Selection Process: The CLASS Faculty Council will review all nominations and select three finalists by rating each nominee on a 1-5 scale (with 1 being the highestand 5 being the lowest). The CLASS Advisory Board will review the three finalistsand select the final winner using the same 1-5 scale. Decisions will be based on themean of the Faculty Council or Advisory Board members' scoring.